National Motorway Awareness Courses
The National Motorway Awareness Course is targeted at motorists (drivers and riders) who have committed an offence in restricted areas on Smart Motorways.
The current online course we offer lasts for 3 hours, including 20 minutes to register clients at the start of the course and a 10 minute break.
The classroom course lasts for 3 hours including 15 minutes to register clients at the start of the course and a 15-minute break.
The course objective is to help attendees with the:
- Understanding of how to read and safely use motorways, and in particular managed motorways
- Understanding of how and why variable speed limits and lane closures are imposed
- Awareness of the negative consequences for self and others of breaking the rules on motorways – and the benefits of complying
- Recognition of their own personal vulnerability to these consequences
- Awareness of how rule-breaking behaviour on motorways is seen and judged negatively by other road users
- Concentration and observation while using motorways
- Ability to maintain a safe space while using motorways